1lb all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup shortening
½ cup water
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a processor and pulse 2 to 3 times.
- Add shortening to flour mixture in 4 to 5 chunks and pulse 10 to 15 times (or fold dough with hands) until the dough is coarse.
- With the processor running (Or while kneading the dough), add water in a steady stream just until a ball of dough begins to form, approximately 30 seconds in a processor.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface. Remove dough from the bowl of the processor and knead until well incorporated and less sticky.
- Evenly divide the dough into 8 pieces and form them into round balls. Keep all of the dough balls covered with a tea towel for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roll each ball into 7-inch rounds with a rolling pin on a lightly greased surface.
- Cut into any shape you like: halves or quarters etc.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and deep fry until golden brown on each side.
Fried jacks can be the perfect breakfast treat! They are tasty and can be paired with almost any meat, cooked vegetables or gravy. Our guests love them with fried beans, eggs and sausages. They make part of a hearty breakfast before leaving on adventures with our guides. We hope that you will enjoy.